Friday, June 1, 2012

BSS Journal - Week 1, Day 5

Yesterday evening was a new challenge: our first trip to a Tex-Mex restaurant on the plan. Even though we were not paying, we did our best to keep the costs down. It would have been great to have a margarita, chips and queso, and enchiladas. However, we stayed on program to the best of our ability.

I ordered chicken fajitas, replacing the rice and beans with sauteed veggies (couldn't get the waiter to understand we didn't want them cooked in butter, so that ended up being our one cheat), no cheese, sour cream or tortillas. Amy ordered the house salad with no cheese or tortilla strips and the vinaigrette dressing on the side (it probably had sugar in it, but it was the healthiest choice and we only ate it by dipping our forks in the dressing and then into the salad). We didn't have any of the chips, or tortillas brought to us. All this and water and we split both dishes. It was very filling and we weren't hungry later. Thirst was a different matter as it probably still had quite a bit of salt.

This morning, I weighed myself and the scale said 269.8, a loss of 0.2 pounds. I'm no longer in the 280s or 270s. Yes! And all in spite of having Tex Mex.

Breakfast (7:15am): Baked scrambled eggs, turkey pastrami, handful of chili-lime peanuts.
The pastrami helped change up what was becoming a boring breakfast.

Lunch (11:00am): Freebird's Freedom Salad
My Freedom Salad included some pinto beans, ground beef, roasted veggies, pico de gallo, roasted poblanos, toasted garlic, cilantro and habanero sauce. Quite filling and oh so good with the seasoned ground beef. Now that I think about it as I type this, Amy had trouble finding taco seasoning that didn't have sugar... so that may have contributed to the enjoyment.

The scale does not lie. I'll know more tomorrow morning. Of course, I can't be sure since we're also attending a graduation dinner tonight for Amy's niece, Victoria, at an Italian restaurant. Another challenge like yesterday. And so if I gain in tomorrow's weigh-in, I can't be certain which meal did it (unless I KNOW the Italian dinner tonight included no hidden diet taxes).

2 comments:

  1. I had only looked at one taco seasoning I saw at Sam's. I need to check the other seasonings, but I'm guessing they will likely have sugar, too. Every food I love just about all have sugar in them. I had no idea how addicted to sugar I was until starting this Plan! I'm pleased to announce I lost almost 2 lbs yesterday! My grand total is now at 8.2 lbs for doing this Plan for 1 1/2 weeks or so. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, y'all!!!!!

    In the South Beach book, there are tons of recipes in the back for all the phases. One of my favorites is a Phase 1 breakfast where you scramble eggs, add in some spinach (or whatever veggies you like), and browned crumbled sausage. Then you pour it into a cupcake pan and bake. You've got separate portioned breakfast cupcake looking things that you can freeze or refrigerate and reheat as you want them. Similar to your baked scrambled eggs and pastrami this morning, according to my mind's eye. They're quick and easy to make at the start of the week for the rest of the week. I think I'm getting motivated to do some this weekend.... I've only found one bulk turkey sausage, and it's at Whole Foods. We got some of the Italian and some of the breakfast to work with.

    ReplyDelete