Friday, January 20, 2012

Of Books, Audiobooks and eBooks

I have a personal preference for physical books. I have not had much interest in reading eBooks or listening to audiobooks despite a few pitiful attempts at both.

However, in the last few weeks, that opinion has been somewhat modified. I had a very good friend loan me Catching Fire (sequel to The Hunger Games) through his Kindle which I could access through my iPhone app. I had no intention of buying the hardcover books to finish reading the trilogy (I have a softcover copy of the first book). I discovered quickly in waiting rooms and during work breaks, anywhere where I had a good 10 minute window or more, that I could quickly open up the Kindle eBook and take up where I left off. I read that eBook in just a few days and, in a few more days, I finished the third book, Mockingjay, which he also loaned to me. I am hooked on the ability to read whenever and wherever I want. The Nook app takes much longer to load and I have not yet started on one of the eBooks I already have on my Nook iPhone app.

As for audiobooks, the situation was changed by my change in transportation and job location. I now have a straight 30 min highway drive to and from work and my Jeep Patriot has a six disc CD player. So I just loaded up a copy of Green Hills of Africa by Ernest Hemingway that was loaned to me by a coworker (it just happened to be 6 CDs) and in just one week I finished the audiobook (finished this afternoon on the way home). This method was also enjoyable in that I found my drives to be less stressful and actually seem to be too short.

I still miss having the physical books as I cannot now loan them to friends and family I know who might enjoy them as well. While I will not be buying the rest of The Hunger Games trilogy, I may look for Hemingway's book to add to my personal collection.

Who knows? Maybe one day I will give in and get an eBook reader, but, for now, my iPhone and Mac apps will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment